Clinical Desktop Configuration
The Clinical Desktop View is a view of all of the patient information the clinician, physician or user needs to be able to care for a patient. With the Allscripts Touchworks EHR v11 Clinical Desktop each user will have the ability to create their own view(s).
Clinical Desktop View Starter Sets - Allscripts provides a standard starter set of Clinical Desktop Views; Organizations can use what’s provided, modify them or build their own view(s).
Security - Users must have a security classification containing the “Workspace View Edit” security code assigned to them to be able to create or edit their Clinical Desktop Views. This security clearance will activate the “edit” button in the Clinical Desktop.
Full Screen Display – At any time users can view one particular components information all by itself, by checking the box “Open in Full Screen Display”.
Create Clinical Desktop View
We'll configure a Clinical Desktop View using View 4.
Log in to TouchWorks as an administrative user.
Click Work Def Admin from the vertical toolbar.
- Select Enterprise to create a view that can be assigned to users in multiple organizations
- Select a specific organization to create a view that can only be assigned to users in one organization
From the Workspace Definition Admin HTB click Add/Edit Desktop View on the bottom left of workspace.
The Edit View Dialog window will appear. Here you’ll see the default view, which in this example is the Pediatric Patient View utilizing View 3. You will also see the 8 Views you can pick from to create a new view.
Let’s create a new view named 'Dr Heartbeat' using View 4.
Click the “New…” button. The Create New View box will appear. Type in a New View Name
Next, decide which of these Components you want in each workspace.
Let’s say we want to view the following Components in the workspace on the left: Allergies, Meds/Orders and Problem. Check the boxes associated with Allergies, Meds/Orders and Problem Click the “Add Selected” button in the left side workspace.
Now I’ll add Health Management Plan and Chart Viewer in the top right workspace and Encounter and Patient Worklist in the bottom right workspace.
Note: If a Worklist View is assigned to a user, the Worklist View will be accessible from the Clinical Desktop View for that user, even if the checkbox for that view is not selected in Work Def Admin. See: Q: Why do Worklist Views that were not selected in Work Def Admin display in the Clinical Desktop view?
Click Apply to save the view and stay on this page, or click OK to save view and return to the main page and Vertical Tool Bar or click Cancel to cancel the action.
Add or Remove Items from a Component
Select the component that you would like to Add or Remove Items from by clicking on the tab. In the example I am going to Remove Items from the Health Management Plan.
Next, Check or UnCheck the Items you would like to Remove. In the example, I will Remove all Items except FlowSheets, VitalSigns/Findings, and Normative Growth.
Click Apply to Save Changes and continue Editing this View.
Rename a Component/Add Additional Tabs
In the example I am going to split Meds/Orders into their own tabs.
- Check the box next to Meds/Orders
- Click Add Selected in the component on the left.
- This has added a second instance of Meds/Orders to the clinical desktop
In this new component we will rename the component, set the default filters and select items to include in this view.
- Change the Display Name to Orders
- Set the Default View to Current Orders”
- Set the first Sort Item to Problem
- Set the second Sort Item to Alpha
- Uncheck all items not related to Orders
Apply the same steps to the original Meds/Orders tab
- Change the Display Name to Meds
- Set the Default View to Current Meds”
- Set the first Sort Item to Problem
- Set the second Sort Item to Date (Descending)
- Uncheck all items not related to Meds
Click Apply to Save
- For help with assigning your new view to users or organizational roles check out these links:
Full Screen Display view
This view allows you to view one component's information at a time. Simply, check the "Open in Full SCreen Display" and then click on the component you'd like to open for viewing.
Adding Buttons to Views
Allscripts does a good job at delivering the most useful buttons for each component in the Clinical Desktop.
Sometimes you may want to remove or add buttons to the bar to suit your needs.
Navigate to Work Def Admin > Add/Edit Desktop View
1) Select the View you want to modify
2) Click on the component you want to modify the buttons for
3) Click on Define Buttons
Once in the Customizer you can see all the available commands by going to the Commands tab
In this example we are going to add the Task command to the Chart Viewer
From the Commands tab click on the Rearrange Commands... button
1) Select Toolbar- Button Toolbar
2) Click Add...
3)Select the Command you want to add
5) You can now move the item(s) by selecting them and using the Move Up/Move Down buttons
6) When complete click Close
7) You will now see your new button added to the toolbar
8) Click Close
9) IMPORTANT you must click Apply!
10) Log out and back into TWEHR to see your new toolbar
Removing Buttons from Views
This process is very similar to adding buttons. Follow steps 1-3 above.
4) right click the item you want to remove and select Delete
5) Click Close
6) IMPORTANT you must click Apply!
7) Log out and back into TWEHR to see your new toolbar
How to remove Views
To remove a view you created and no longer need
Important! -Both Desktop Views and Note Views populate the list together. If you try to delete a view in the following steps using the Add/Edit Desktop View button, but don't see it in the list then its under Add/Edit Note View.
First- Select whether the view you want to delete/edit is an Enterprise or Organization view
Next- select the view you wish to delete and make sure it is not assigned to any users
Then- click the Add/Edit Desktop View or Add/Edit Note View depending on which type you wish to delete/edit
If you are in the right view editor (Desktop vs. Note), your selected view will be showing in the list- click the delete button to delete
Your view is now deleted!
Return to V10 to V11.2 Build Workbook (BW)