The Specimen Source dictionary contains entries that describe what the source of the sample that was taken in order to perform a test. The specificity of the entries in this dictionary should reflect what the person ordering the test wants/needs to specify at order time. Although some of the items come preloaded, additional content should be reviewed for additional specimen sources used within your organization. In addition, Allscripts provides a specimen source of Other, which is used only when a specimen source comes across the interface that does not match an entry in this dictionary.
- Code - The Code is a unique identifier that must be supplied. This is not displayed in the product and is used for identification purposes only.
- Name - This is the name that will appear for the end users in the EHR application. This should be unique to prevent confusion.
- Mnemonic - This is not required, but it used as a secondary identifier. This does not appear in the product and unless you have another use for it, the recommendation would be to make this the same as the code.
- Inactive - The inactive flag allows you to inactivate or hide an entry. If an item is inactivated, users would not have the ability to select the specimen source in the future, although any patients with the specimen source defined would remain viewable.
- Enforced - The enforced flag designates whether a dictionary item is required and cannot be changed. In most cases, this comes predefined by Allscripts and should not be selected for new entries. If an entry is enforced, it cannot be modified or inactivated.