Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page will describe the steps necessary to perform a manual SQL backup. Backups should be created before making any major changes to a database to ensure you can restore them if necessary:
Creating a backup with SQL 2005
- Log onto the server that you need to create the backup on
- Go to Start/Programs/Microsoft SQL Server 2005/SQL Server Management Studio
- The first prompt will ask you to which server to connect to. Supply the proper information and hit <Connect>
- Expand Databases
- Right-click the database you wish to backup
- Select Tasks/Backup
- The following page will appear:
- If anything appears in the Destination section as shown above, highlight the entry and hit remove.
- When everything has been removed, select the <Add> button.
- The following prompt will appear:
- Select the elipses and browse to your preferred path and provide a detailed filename. Ensure that you have enough disk space free to hold the backup.
- Press <OK> until you get back to this screen:
- When everything is ready to be backed up, press <OK>
- While the backup is executing you will see the progress in the bottom left hand corner as shown here:
- When it is finished the following screen will appear:
- Press <OK>
- If done with SQL close out of the program, you're finished.